Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Association Chat (#assnchat) Highlights: March 16, 2010 Edition

Topic: Social Media Overload

Moderator: KiKi L’Italien

(Q1) Is it the social networks, blogs, amount of information, or the choices of all that overwhelms you?

unhatched:

(Q1) I think it's poor management of all of the above #assnchat

camelendes:

@kikilitalien i end up printing a lot of blogs out and then feel guilty looking at the stack. my intentions are to read at night...#assnchat

DanScheeler:

@kikilitalien I have three Twitter clients, Facebook, & LinkedIn open on two screens - does that count as overload?#assnchat

BillWalker7:

For me it is information overload - making choices to filter what I REALLY want/need to know #assnchat

amgmtgroup:

@kikilitalien all of above. That & the inherent amount of narcissism that, by necessity comes with being a voluminous SM'er. #assnchat

camelendes:

@kikilitalien day to day i feel i can keep up with twitter, fb and LI, but if i miss a day, i feel like i miss a lot #assnchat

DanScheeler:

@kikilitalien Q1 - All of above - so much comes from so many sources. #assnchat

ElizabethB:

Agree w/@unhatched -it is hard to read all those blog posts! Unless I'm not already following or see it posted on Twitter,I miss! #assnchat

BillWalker7:

Many of us have innate fear we might be missing out on something #assnchat

BillWalker7:

Or think that we need something that is only peripherally important #assnchat

deirdrereid:

I miss a lot but figure that my network will RT or refer to anything really "unmissable." #assnchat

ltwhite:

@ElizabethB Thanks for reminding me - talk about overwhelmong & overload #assnchat

unhatched:

Are you overloaded by what you take in or what you want to put out? #assnchat

kelly_flowers:

Hi everyone! I can't figure out how to keep up with all of the socmed..just using twitter can suck up my whole day! #assnchat

DanScheeler:

Sometimes I feel like a prospector - I wade into the SocMed stream with my sieve, hoping to find something of value #assnchat

 

(Q2) Have you found ways to manage the madness? If so, please share!

deirdrereid:

I schedule time (& set timer) for SM, I have priority columns in Tweetdeck, I shut down apps when not using. #assnchat

toniraebrotons:

(Q2) You have to let go of the idea that you have to be on top of social media every minute of the day. It's not going away! #assnchat

deirdrereid:

I try to schedule time for my RSS feeds and keep a "tweet later" list of anything I want to share. #assnchat

DarthGarry:

@kikilitalien I use an old fashioned daytimer, and spend a few minutes each morning reconciling it with my email. #Assnchat

unhatched:

@kikilitalien I can funnel just about everything of value through my Google Reader and I have a ton of filters in Tweetdeck #assnchat

BillWalker7:

@deirdrereid hootsuite really helps me with tweeting later. love the scheduling function. #assnchat

yourmembership:

I use hootsuite because it let's me manage multiple accounts (Twitter, FB, etc.) and use the scheduler for tweets/status as well. #assnchat

ElizabethB:

I try to schedule time for my RSS feeds and keep a "tweet later" list of anything I want to share. #assnchat (via @deirdrereid) - Good idea!

BillWalker7:

@unhatched Do you think there's a learning curve for filtering - just like there is for googling/searching the net? #assnchat

dhelwig:

I think the issue is being frustrated by potential - I see how much more I *could* do if there was more of me to do it! #assnchat

camelendes:

i think i have lower expectations for output (1 to 2 blogs a week) compared to the mountain of tweets, etc #assnchat

LisaSullivan:

GR8 Advice! RT @deirdrereid I sched time (& set timer) 4 SM, I have priority cols in Tweetdeck, I shut down apps when not using. #assnchat

BillWalker7:

I am super resourceful when it comes to search. Not so much when managing/filtering my SM intake. #assnchat

deirdrereid:

@BillWalker7 I've heard that. I don't care so much abt scheduling. I want to be here in real life when I tweet. #assnchat

toniraebrotons:

@yourmembership: LOVE hootsuite! #assnchat

unhatched:

@BillWalker7 absolutely - it took me a long time to get my feed adjusted to where I want #assnchat

 

(Q3) What is one social media "bother" that you wish would go away?

swanwick:

Q3: want to be able to take my social network with me and be able to select what sub-portion to use on each site. #assnchat

deirdrereid:

We all need time to slow down and to read and reflect, important to build that into our day, or at least our week. #assnchat

kikilitalien:

@CharmsS You know, they say the quickest way to go wrong on social media is never leaving it...or is it just that I say that? LOL #assnchat

unhatched:

@kikilitalien I'll take the obvious and go with SPAM #assnchat

tommorrison:

RT @tommorrison #beyondrelevance #assnchat flexibilty expands the opportunities for creativity and innovation. Empowers people w PURPOSE!

CharmsS:

@kikilitalien I didn't leave to the extent that I wasn't utilizing SM tools for my assn, just had to focus energies differently. #assnchat

LeeAnne_Orange:

@kikilitalien - some days seems like I can't get enough and other days I can't seem to be inspired enough to contribute. #assnchat

spkrinteractive:

@ltwhite Think of it as roaring stream. Even if you dip your cup ALL the time, still only a cup. Fine to walk away whenever #assnchat

 

(Q4) What would make your life easier when dealing with social media (to avoid overload)? A better filter? A better platform?

camelendes:

@LeeAnne_Orange i keep it open all day, but i really focus right in the morning, then around lunch and then again around 4:30. #assnchat

spkrinteractive:

@LeeAnne_Orange I walk to work and also walk my dog. That is the zone out time. #assnchat

kikilitalien:

The irony is that I also want to pursue meditation while at the same time using every spare moment to fill up w/more activity... #assnchat

maggielmcg:

@LeeAnne_Orange I try to stay offline (and off iphone) for most of weekend. Notice I said "try" #assnchat

unhatched:

@kikilitalien @susancato nomee is a great multiplatform dashboard - highly recommend #assnchat

dhelwig:

@LeeAnne_Orange I generally cut out in the middle of the day to focus on non-SM work, check AM and PM. #assnchat

maggielmcg:

I have to run--my finger is bleeding all over keyboard from hangnail--tty all next week. #assnchat

spkrinteractive:

By "zone out" I mean let my mind wander a bit. The rest of the day is focused on particular items. #assnchat

kikilitalien:

@maggielmcg Ouch! Good luck! :) #assnchat

LeeAnne_Orange:

@maggielmcg - yeah me too! doesn't always work. :) #assnchat

spkrinteractive:

@kikilitalien Doesn't meditation count as an activity. Doesn't it have long-term and short-term value? #assnchat

stevecbriggs:

@kikilitalien can't explain, but it seems when I do take time to meditate I have more time - I'm billing more anyway! #assnchat

unhatched:

@kikilitalien A girl tweeted during yoga last week & had her phone taken up - reminded me of being caught passing notes in class #assnchat

kikilitalien:

RT @stevecbriggs: @kikilitalien can't explain, but it seems when I do take time to meditate I have more time - I'm billing more anyway! #assnchat

kikilitalien:

@stevecbriggs Great example of exactly WHY I should meditate! Social networking w/ my chi. #assnchat

kikilitalien:

@unhatched A girl tweeted during yoga? That's crazy - even for me! #assnchat

DenaBotbyl:

LOVE IT! RT @unhatched girl twted during yoga last week & had her phone taken - reminded me of being caught passing notes in class #assnchat

unhatched:

@kikilitalien what i can't figure out is how she missed the 9238472 'no phone' signs on her way in #assnchat

stevecbriggs:

@kikilitalien exactly - turning off the stream and zoning out definitely helps focus when you come back to it #assnchat

 

 

Posted via web from kikilitalien's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!