This week’s Association Chat was focused on the topic: networking. It's an important topic for associations because people associate them with the ability to make connections to other specific types of people. What happens when you add social media to the mix? Does technology help or hinder an association's role in connecting people?
We talked about those types of things and more during the chat.
Association Chat takes place every Tuesday at 2 pm ET
Here is the list of questions I asked and some of my own answers. How would you answer these questions?
1. Why do you think networking is consistently named as one of the top reasons for joining an association?
a. It is people’s connections that lead to job opportunities, answers to problems, or developing relationships that may help in the future.
2. How does your organization foster networking?
a. Aptify uses Yammer and Lync to keep everyone in all the offices connected.
b. Aptify also has an online users group for the users of the software so they can communicate with one another.
c. They also hold in-person meetings with “networking events” to help get people together.
3. How can associations bring more value to networking as a benefit in the age of social media?
a. Associations can provide more ways to connect. I like it when I have easy ways to connect to people at meetings…like through apps or LinkedIn connections.
4. What was the most valuable networking event you ever attended?
a. I once crashed an invitation-only party that led to me running into an acquaintance who introduced me to a person who later offered me a job!
b. For sheer bragging rights, the White House Correspondents Garden Brunch was another favorite networking event. Lots of celebs!
5. Where do you do most of your networking?
6. What are your best tips for networking?
b. Ask questions
7. Where should people network in the association industry?
a. Online with #assnchat or using private online communities, with ASAE events, and at their state SAE events.
8. Describe a networking event in which you would like to participate!
9. What is the most interesting thing you’ve ever received as a result of networking?
a. A pair of shoes from a couple I met. It’s a long story.
10. Quick! Name three people you would like to have coffee with to discuss your professional life.