Friday, June 7, 2013

LinkedIn Told You So!

It is a big deal when you change your employer information on Facebook and LinkedIn. Updates are issued. Posts are released. People are notified. A virtual press release seems to be automatically spun out by social media sites and suddenly changing employers means hearing from family and friends about your latest news.

It's fun.

I should know. I just did that and man, what a flurry of activity in my inbox. I recently went from running my own social media consulting firm to working as senior consultant in social media for Aptify, a well-know software firm in the association space. People want to know how it feels, why I changed jobs, and what exactly I'll be doing.

First, I want to let you all in on a little secret. I'm in the midst of the most rigorous and intensive on boarding/training I've ever been a part of in my life. I'm actually writing this post from the lobby of the Whitney Hotel in New Orleans where I've been based for the past week as we've gone over "the basics" in preparation for more advanced training in the following weeks. It's better than obligatory training. It's impressive, is what it is. I wish all employers could do this! We (me and the close to 18 other people starting at the same time I am) are hearing and learning from some of the top people in the organization and they are setting us up for success. It feels really good to be invested in this early. To say I appreciate it would be weak. It's amazing.

At the Aptify Happy Hour for the New Hires (photo by Jason Nicosia)
Next week we'll all be in the DC area for more training and to attend Company Day, which brings together Aptify employees from all over the world for team building and updates. I'm stoked to be meeting more people at Aptify and to check out the Tyson's Corner offices where I'll be settling in soon. 

So, how does all of this feel? I'm in the beginning of a great learning experience and I have several weeks more of training with this group of great people whom I admire and respect. (I'm surrounded by MBAs from Tulane University who have been hired by Aptify to help as Business Analysts for clients).

Why did I make the jump? Because I had to admit something very seriously to myself... I do not like to work by myself all the time. I am much better with a team.

On top of that, the struggle to be all things (accountant, marketer, consultant, CEO) AND mother and wife was not fun without a group to share it with (and to share the work)! I feel like something has switched on since I started working with this team of people. I like it, friends. I like it a lot. 

So what exactly will I be doing for Aptify? :) Keep your eyes on http://www.aptify.com and as we finalize the details you will see more posted. For now, just know we have some good things planned and we've only just begun.



2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new job, Kiki, not only for the possibilities it brings for you but also for your ability to figure out and _act_ on what was working/not working for you before. I wish you the very best in your new position; hoping to hear more about what it's like after a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm super excited about the new direction and to be working with a TEAM again!!! I'll be sharing more for sure as we develop things further!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!