Friday, October 10, 2008

Thinking About Succession Planning for Chapters

Leadership is tricky business and it can become even trickier when you are trying to move on from a leadership position with a group...especially when there is no one around you who is fitting or desires to take over your role.

I just took part in a webinar at Cynthia D'Amour's Chapter Leaders Playground, "Three Good Thoughts for Better Teamwork With Author Erika Oliver" and received several good tips. I think my favorite idea came as a direct response to my succession planning issue from another webinar attendee. The mysterious "Judy" who typed in a response for my consideration provided a pearl of wisdom. To paraphrase...

"The first responsibility of a leader is to develop a person to replace them. The leader should identify four prospects. Identifying four prospects is important because, on average, one will refuse, one will disappoint, one will move, and one will accept."

I like that.

What are some of your own succession planning tips and troubles?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kiki!

    Thanks for the plug. I loved Judy's comment too.

    Didn't realize you were blogging.

    Thanks for playing with us!

    Cyn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!