Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Chat with the Funny Name

"Come for the ass and stay for the chat," or something like that.

Maggie McGary, author of the mizz information blog and regular contributor to the weekly Association Chat on Twitter, shared her favorite funny comment someone had made about the chat's hashtag #assnchat (regularly (mis)pronounced "ass n' chat").

With a name so regularly commented on by those out- and inside of the association world, one might assume the group would want to rename it - to avoid such salty comments. However, knowing the regular personalities in the chats, I believe "ass-n-chat" is even more beloved by its participants because of its easy-to-pick-on name.

Is that indicative of the creative and carefully rebellious association people I see in the online community? I'm not sure, but I'd love it if that were the case.

I've been listening to Seth Godin's Linchpin book (usually while I'm trying to review other things...) and his argument about the importance of the indispensable talent versus the old-fashioned workhorse cog fits in well with what I've been seeing. Happily, I see amazing, talented people all around me online and in the association community - people who are bucking ordinary job constraints and paving the way to do work that is not only inspired, but necessary for their organizations to evolve.

That's it. that's all I have to share today. Just that I know a bunch of really smart and talented people who aren't afraid of silly names - as long as the content is good.

4 comments:

  1. It's awful, but I always think "ass-n-chat" in my head when I write or read #assnchat. Loved seeing this post in my GReader this afternoon, and I completely agree with you - #assnchat is full of bright minds and amazing thinkers who (perhaps?) benefit from the goofy name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only been on one ass-n-chat, but liked that one of the participants thought it was "assassin chat."

    Maybe we are all working to kill off the uninspired ways of doing things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! "Assassin Chat" - I forgot about that one! I love it! Thanks for reminding me of that, Cecilia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout out! I STILL can't stop laughing about "They come for the ass and stay for the chat." Seriously. Or maybe it was the other way around--come for the chat and stay for the ass?

    I admit that I think it's an entertaining part of weekly assnchat when inevitably a few people catch the hashtag in the general twitter stream and start a conversation with each other about what an unfortunate hashtag it is.

    I like the assassin chat/kill off the old way of doing things tie-in!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!